Best Guess at 2019 PGA Schedule

I fully support the schedule changes coming in 2019. I am all for moving the PGA to May and moving the Tour Championship up in August before labor day/football. The season should be shortened.

With that said, I took my best shot at what my ideal schedule would look like in 2019. I’m sure its flawed but this is a rough draft.
What do you think?

notes:
(yes, I am ignoring the fall wrap around tourneys)

Historically (2016/17/18), the tour played 37 tourneys over 38 weeks from Hawaii to East Lake.
(yes, I am ignoring the opposite field events that take place during the WGC’s)

My Proposal calls for 34 tourney over 34 weeks from Hawaii to Tour Championship. The goal is end the weekend before Labor Day/College football.

• I Got rid of:
    (1) Career builder in Palm Springs
    (2) One Of the Texas tourneys (you pick: Valero/Byron Nelson/Houston)
    (3) One of the FedEx cups playoffs (shortened to 3 weeks)

Moved Dell Matchplay in Austin to January
Will they play Pebble Beach pro-am at Pebble even though US open is being played there in 2019? They did 2010.
Moved Mexico up to that it’s the bridge between Riviera and Florida.
TPC Sawgrass now in March

Need a tourney between Florida and Masters. No reason to go to Texas the week before. Shoal Creek? South Carolina?

Between Masters and PGA – they head to Texas -> New Orleans -> Carolinas -> PGA Champ. This makes more sense to me. Plus, I think Harbor Town in Hilton Head deserves a better spot. Players love that course/tourney.

Moved WGC Bridgestone into late June. (need something good between US and British Open).

Flipped Wyndam and Canadian Open. Want to give Canadian Open a better position as it should be a bigger deal. Wish I could find a better place for Canadian Open.

Shortened the FedEx Cup playoffs to 3 events in August (top 125 / top 75 / top 32) ending with Tour Championship the weekend before Football/Labor Day. I do support the Tour Championship moving around each year and not staying at East Lake every year.

Its never perfect. You have to leave some “sacrificial lamb” tourney in certain places as players are going to want off weeks (pre/post Masters), Pre/Post US open. Pre/Post Open Championship. Greenbrier over 4th of July. Texas Tourney over Memorial Day before Memorial. You need these lesser tourneys to remain.

DATES EVENT COURSE note
January 1-7 Sentry Tournament of Champions Hawaii
January 8-14 Sony Open in Hawaii Hawaii
January 15-21 Farmers Insurance Open San Diego
January 22-28 Waste Management Arizona
Jan 29-Feb 4 WGC Dell Matchplay Austin Matchplay
February 5-11 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am ? Will this change b.c of 2019 US Open?
February 12-18 Genesis Open LA
February 19-25 World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship Mexico
Feb 26-Mar 4 Honda Florida Team event?
March 5-11 Arnie Palmer Inv Florida
March 12-18 TPC Sawgrass Florida
March 19-25 Valspar Tampa Florida
Mar 26-Apr 1 NEED TOURNEY (not Texas or Florida) Sea Island? S. Carolina? Shoal Creek?
April 2-8 Masters Tournament #
April 9-15 Byron Nelson/Houston Texas
April 16-22 Colonial Texas
April 23-29 Zurich Classic of New Orleans New Orleans Team format
Apr 30- May 6 RBC Heritage Hilton Head
May 7-13 Wells Fargo Championship Charlotte
May 14-20 PGA Championship # Bethpage Black, NY
May 21-27 The “National” ??
May 28- Jun 3 the Memorial Tournament
June 4-10 FedEx St. Jude Classic Memphis
June 11-17 U.S. Open # Pebble Beach
June 18-24 Travelers Championship Connecticut
Jun 25- Jul 1 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational Ohio
July 2-8 The Greenbrier Classic West Virginia
July 9-15 John Deere Classic
July 16-22 The Open Championship #
July 23-29 Wyndham Championship
Jul 30-Aug 5 RBC Canadian Open
August 6-12 Dell Technologies Championship top 125 Use Michigan here
August 13-19 BMW Championship FEDEX top 75
August 22-25 Tour Championship East Lake (top 32 players) or move this tourney around?

I probably should have read this article before I made my hypothetical 2019 schedule.

Look for WGC-Bridgestone to be moved to Memphis and replace the current Fedex St Jude Classic.

Sucks that Houstoj is likely gonna lose its spot before the Masters and likely the event too. Just shows how big having a sponsor is, since Houston is the 4th largest city in nation and will likely lose its stop on tour.

Love the though process behind the Canadian Open, not sure being the week before the playoff starts will help it either though.

Moving the WGC Match Play to that early in the season is going to leave a lot of yellow dormant grass for viewers to look at. Even this past weekend there was a lot of rough that wasnt back to life yet.

I get the sense that “they” (whoever they are) like have the Waste Management on Super Bowl weekend. Enhances the party vibe. I don’t know how much pull that would have on the schedule though.

I think you’re right about dropping one of the TX tournaments. Career Builder is pretty weak too, but I think there is some tradition there.

Might get some pushback on putting a WGC before THE OPEN because the Euro Tour is trying to build up those pre THE OPEN events over there.

I’ve heard that Colonial is gone after this season.

I assume that as long as that Coca-Cola money is flowing, the Tour Championship is staying in Atlanta.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the Tour Championship is the weekend before Labor Day? I know college football plays Labor Day, but I thought the real issue is avoiding competing with NFL on Sunday afternoons, and playing over the weekend with the FedEx Cup on the line on Monday seems like a decent idea that allows for a little more room in the schedule overall.

I am sorry to see the Boston event likely gone, but not sure where it fits. They get pretty strong crowds now that the field is so strong, but it just doesn’t have the cache or history of many other events. The old “Boston” event at Pleasant Valley struggled for a long time, too. Strange that Hartford remains, but they do get a lot of credit for having a well-run tournament.

I think it would get lost, both locally and nationally, in everything else going on if it ended Labor Day weekend. Mainly due to college football in Atlanta. Georgia Tech and Georgia almost always play their first game on that weekend, and there’s the Chick-fil-a Kickoff Game between two big name programs - and sometimes they do a second game on Labor Day itself. I don’t have any analytics or Trackman data to back this up (Bryson, need you here buddy), but I feel like the Venn diagram between golf fans and college football fans in Atlanta has a pretty large overlap. And college football will be getting their attention that weekend, not golf.

On the other hand, having it the last weekend in August in Atlanta is going to be an absolute sauna. Bring some Gatorade - I mean, whoops, Powerade. Stay on brand.

You are 100% right. Attendance in Atlanta on Labor Day would be bad. It’d be a bad idea.

Move it up to the weekend before labor day. Bring on the heat.
Or Move it Michigan / Wiscosin / minnesota.

Or… Make one of those pre Open events a WGC.

That could be pretty interesting. I don’t think you could do the WGC the week prior to THE OPEN because a lot of guys like a week off before majors. But what you could do is essentially a “British Isles Swing” where you’d have WGC-British Isles, Irish/Scottish Open, THE OPEN in 3 consecutive weeks.

Then back in the US you basically have a 3-week oppo period where they could try out some experimental stuff. Either do different formats or maybe have a promotion/relegation battle between top Web guys and bottom PGA guys.

I like the thought of the match play against the Super Bowl, since Sunday of that event tends to be a dud, but I don’t see the west coast swing changing at all. Match Play probably will stay 2 weeks prior to the Masters if not moved later. If it stays in Austin, no way they can pull off January. It’s bad enough the rough was dormant this week. Also, the new match play format of pool play needs the daylight. The January tournaments in the lower 48 are going to be multiple course events or the short field event in Phoenix. LaQuinta isn’t going anywhere.

The Masters are already set for April 11-14 next year.

There were talks of a tournament in Minnesota starting up next year in the Summer.

The Barclays isn’t going anywhere. It’s got sites locked in for years.

The Bridgestone is going away and probably moving to Memphis.

The Euro tour would never agree to a WGC event in the lead up to the Open. Won’t happen.

To summarize, from 10,000 feet, what I’d _ideally _like to see out of the 2019 schedule:

• get rid of Bob Hope in the Palm Springs (sorry, something has to go).
  • get rid of one of the Texas tourneys (sorry Colonial). ___
  • align all 4 Florida tourneys in a row.
  • I wish Hilton Head got a better date.
  • Whatever tourney comes the last weekend in June/ weekend before July 4 needs to be legit. There is a big gap between the US Open and the Open Championship in which none of the tourney matter and they need to fill that gap. I would like to see another team formatted tourney or maybe another matchplay or just something different.
  • I wish we could find a more prominent date for the Canadian Open as it should be more legit and draw a better field (Late June too early?). But right now it gets no love going 1 week after the Open Championship.
  • Shorten the FedEX Cup to 3 event. Play the Tour Championship the week before Labor Day.

Got it, Monahan?

Don’t they have the Irish/Scottish Open in back to back weeks? If so, could rotate their weeks each year and have a WGC in Ireland one year and then Scotland the next year. I hope Firestone South doesn’t get taken out of the tour for good, unless its so it can have a major again. I know it gets dumped on a lot, but I have played it a few times and I love it, yes it needs some serious tree removal done, but I love the course and the green complexes are fantastic.

Valero Texas Open (San Antonio) is locked into the week prior to the Masters starting in 2019 and Valero just signed a long contract to be the title sponsor for the next 10 years with the assurance that the date won’t change.

So if one of the Texas events is going away, it’s either going to be Colonial or Houston.

I wish they would take the BMW Championship out of the Fedex Cup and move it back to Chicago over 4th of July weekend where the old Western Open fell on the schedule, they got huge crowds at that event on that weekend in the past and it would keep an event in Chicago permanently. But I doubt that happens. Seems crazy to me that the PGA Tour won’t have a permanent event in the 3rd largest city in the country (BMW moves around) and will probably lose the event in the 4th largest city (Houston).