Best Course You've Ever Played That Nobody's Heard Of

Overshadowed by the stadium course next door, TPC Scottsdale’s “Champions Course” is a fun layout with a nice mix of risk/reward holes and more traditional desert hazards. Far less expensive as well!

Definitely ANGC-esque

@SketchersOnMyFeet Glen Mills is NOT a Gil Hanse design, Bobby Weed did the work

Granville Golf Club in Granville OH. Awesome Donald Ross course. Played a long time ago on the same day we played Longenberger. Less than half the price and every guy in the group agreed Granville was better.

Musgrove Mill in Clinton, SC is a great track. Arnold Palmer design with very unique holes throughout a wicked landscape. Highly recommend playing there. Slope rating is ridiculous from the tips. I believe it’s high 150s.

Ive been lied to my whole life…

Vesper Country Club on the north shore in Mass is one of the best works from Donald Ross

Jupiter Hills (Hills Course) - Tequesta, FL
Fazio design situated right on top of sand dunes and sandwiched right in-between Bears Club and Medalist. Membership is overwhelmingly stuffy here but the course is by far the best in the area.

Jupiter%20Hills%202

A course in the Central/Eastern part of IL, a course that my dad helped sculpt out of a Black Angus cattle farm, Fox Prairie GC in Windsor IL is a nice day out. With a mixture of different types of holes, very scenic location, and an absolutely unbeatable price point it makes for a great trip with the buddies. The front 9 is much more traditional American course design and the back 9 has a more linksy feel offering multiple looks and options to play many holes. Not much great golf in the area without traveling up to Chicago or down to the St.Louis area but this is definitely one of the best “bang-for-your-buck” courses I’ve ever played.

Golf%20Course%203

I answered already but I wanna change my answer to a course I like more. This is Arrowhead Pointe in Elberton, Georgia. So far in the middle of nowhere that I can never send or receive text messages anyplace. So far in the middle of nowhere that, at the “Pointe” of Arrowhead Pointe, you can stand on one of five greens or tees and experience what true dead silence is. Unless it’s the sound of a golf shot being hit, someone yelling “FORE!”, or birds chirping, it is what I now picture anytime I hear the phrase “Silence is deafening.” A lot of this course is the result of a perfect piece of land to put a great golf course, as you can see below, but Bob Walker, the designer, still did a tremendous job with this course. 13-17 is probably the best stretch of several holes I’ve ever seen.

Found a nice little track in West Virginia this past summer, Speidel Golf Club designed by Arnold Palmer.
I did not find a level shot all round, but it was a flawless day and I really loved the design. It is fairly long, but open enough to make you over-confident. Plenty of trouble to be found in the long, wispy grass not to far from the fairway, and large collection areas behind greens. We also played the Robert Trent Jones course on the same property, not to bad, but the Palmer was a clear winner.
If you are ever cruising I-70 through Ohio, make time for the stop. 10 Min from the interstate right at the OH/WV border.

It’s so tough and so much fun. Definitely tests your game but it’s a beautiful pace to play.

The Lakes at Laura S Walker. Hidden gem in south Georgia just outside the Okeefenokee. No houses and is located in the middle of a State park. About 15 bucks to play on a weekend hotdeal at 6:50 AM. Cant beat it.

Although I think the tree removal was a plus on the Links, Lawsonia as a whole is much weaker over the past few years (condition wise) and they have continued to raise their prices. They end up tagging you $100/round now. Go north less than 10 miles and play 27 at Mascoutin for $60-75. Better greens, nicer people

This course is probably underrated to Americans given its local but Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire is an unbelievably good golf course and is probably the cheapest course you can play in the World Top 100 list. Incredible bunkering and a very difficult course. One of the best non-sea side courses I have ever played

LOVE Mascoutin too
Believe they host Wisconsin amateur qualifying every year?

Lawsonia was “all-day golf” for $100 the second weekend of September last year…that was hard to beat

Mascoutin has the US Am qualifier direct to Pebble this year. They usually host a few WSGA events each year as well

Eastward Ho! in Chatham, MA. I’d love to see the pros play those par 3s.

Is the other course called the Crispen Course? Is this still on a State Park? Played there about 20 years ago and all I remember is no flat stances.

Wine Valley in Walla Walla, Washington! Maybe some of you have heard of it, maybe some of you haven’t. I LOVE this course.

I can’t say what the course is like November-February, but by the time I go there in March it is already firm and fast. To be honest, the firmness is great, but at times, I think the greens get running a tad too quick for the slopes on some of the greens and the winds that can blow. That is the only knock I can think of. Conditioning is fantastic.

Tees on scorecard state 5105, 5845, 6335, 6760, and 7600, with 4 combos in between them all, so between mens and women’s, there are 11 rated tees to choose from depending on skill level and wind velocity.

One local rule you might like to hear about is “If your ball is lost in the native grass, please play it as a lateral hazard. Drop your ball within two club lengths, no closer to the hole, of the point where your ball crossed into the native grass. One stroke penalty.” This being said, the course is about angles, so the fairways are very wide to give an advantage to hitting one side of the fairway versus the other. As a result, you shouldn’t be hitting it into the native grass unless its a really bad shot.

On a weekend in peak season, it tops out at $135. Every other situation costs less, unless you get a cart (not recommended; push or pull cart for best experience). I go over for a week in March for $60-$70 a round. There are always stay & play packages, too.

7-gc_web