Best Course You've Ever Played That Nobody's Heard Of

In Washington state:

• Tacoma Country Club (Stanley Thompson) is the best course I’ve played in Washington. Fantastic routing, phenomenal greens and a super that knows the golf course history. Amazing.

• Wing Point Country Club on Bainbridge Island. Front 9 is 1903 built by founding members. Someone knew what they were doing, and again, the super gets it.

• For public courses, I absolutely adore West Seattle GC (H Chandler Egan), some amazing green complexes and a great walk.

Went to school in San Diego so my favorites in SoCal:

• Recreation Park (Billy Bell) in Long Beach. Unreal routing.

• Balboa Park (Billy Bell) in San Diego. Again, great routing and a helluva risk-reward par 5 16th I think could be the best muni par 5 I’ve ever played.

Palmetto Golf Club, Aiken SC. They open it to outside play the week of the Masters. It’s a MacKenzie, not long, but with Augusta like greens, it’s plenty hard and so much fun. Greens were rolling 12.5 day we played and entire course was perfect. Got paired with two guys from Britain and had a blast. Food is included, well worth the price. It’s like stepping back in time, one of the coolest clubhouses I’ve ever seen

If you get a chance, try to play Catawba Island Club near Port Clinton, it’s really fun and every time I’ve played it it’s in tour condition, greens are insanely fast and undulating.

Storey Creek GC in Campbell River, BC. Legit buried in the gorgeous island wilderness of Vancouver Island. Deer and fawn roam freely, unabashed to bask in the sun directly within arm’s reach. Phenomenal layout where each hole is secluded as if its own course. Challenging green complexes with multiple tiers offering a multitude of pin locations and variation of difficulty. Quaint little clubhouse with great vantage points of approach shots on par-3 7th, par-4 9th, par-5 18th and tee shot on 10th. Not to mention a newly renovated grass range steps from the patio. If you’re ever doing an Island golf trip (which I can recommend enough) be sure to do yourself a favor and knock out 18.

I’ve got an in there but haven’t called it in yet. Would love to get up there to see it.

Need this in my life in 2018

two on my list:
Mystic Hills- Culver, IN it is getting some notoriety over the past year or so but it is an impeccable 9 holer in northern Indiana!

Erie Golf Club- Erie, PA Tilinghast design that is now a muni and extremely cheap, and not in the “best maintenance” shape but if you are into good bones and golden age (1921) this is one of the best for the money I’ve ever seen. I was there for work and literally the only one on the entire course at 8:00 on a Tuesday!

Grand Cypress is badass. This year in September, the FSGA is doing their Net State Championship there. I can’t wait.

Very cool! I think I like the North/South combo the best, although I seem to always have a great time on the New Course, and I normally play it well. (for me) Headed back to Orlando for business in March, will work in a round for sure.

Limestone Springs, in north east Alabama. Absolutely legit. Beautiful, in the mountains, incredible shape & layout.

I’ve lived an hour from Lewes/Rehoboth my whole life and never played the Par 3. Perhaps this summer I’ll make a trip and grab a bloody or two afterward

Links at Spanish Bay - Pebble Beach, CA. Not really “unknown” but it is certainly overshadowed by Pebble & Spyglass (for good reason); for hundreds of dollars less than those courses you get an amazing round of golf with just as many, if not more, ocean views as Pebble.

That place is absolute magic.

http://www.dullnigranches.com/properties/475-acres-wolf-point-club/

No rumor. It is indeed for sale.

The eye of Hurricane Harvey slammed right into Port Lavaca. I had feared the worst, but according to the link, WP miraculously took very little damage.

Played here a long time ago, what a gem! Still stays in my list of fav course and haven’t played in a at least 7 years! Nice Call

Sirocco Golf Club in Calgary, AB, Canada. Hosted 2 Canadian Tour events, special place in the Pine Creek Valley with Pine creek meandering through the course. Sirocco

Debary Country Club in Debary, FL. Really tough track. Got on in 2015 through Golf Advisor (I think). The very first hole is a long dog leg left par 4…great greens and fairways…well worth the trip from Indiana.

never played in bad condition, and the Resident rate is always worth the short drive.

Lost Dunes (Bridgman, MI) private
Pine Dunes (Frankston, TX)…not that unknown
Washington National (Auburn, WA) UW’s home course

Haven’t played golf up there, but Dewey is a blast