Best Course You've Ever Played That Nobody's Heard Of

Columbus Country Club (Ohio). Old DR course, currently undergoing a reno. Excited to see how it turns out.

or

Bloomfield Hills Country club (Michigan). HS Colt roots but has had a few touch ups from DR, Hills, and RTJ

jwfickett - you’re right when you say you were incredibly lucky to have it as your home course as a kid. I recently moved up here and became a member at Cedarbrook and it never gets boring. Absolutely worth the trip to Elkin/State Road if you have never been. Fees are actually around $35-$40 and it is always in great shape. There are a number of members who actually live in Charlotte and drive a little over an hour because the course offers much more than you would get in Charlotte. Any of you that are ever interested in a good course that offers the most bang for your buck, then look no further than Cedarbrook.

Knole Park in Sevenoaks, Kent, England. Designed by Abercrombie / Simpson. Completely unique in an English National Park with deer roaming the course, including across the greens!

Columbus CC was a blast a couple years ago when I played. Can’t wait to see the renovations.

Peachtree Golf Club Atlanta … wow

Pleased to hear this. Small world. Cedarbrook always struck a chord with the right balance of playability and difficulty. Removal of the trees has really helped in spots. The front 9 is much better than the back 9, imo, but both sides have very good holes. 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 15, 16 are all great fun.

Three North Dakota tracks. All actually acclaimed, but likely not heard of by the majority of the golfing community. In no particular order:

Bully Pulpit (Medora, ND)

The Links of North Dakota (Ray, ND)

Hawktree Golf Club (Bismarck, ND)

The now defunct Cascade Mountain Course in Orem UT was a ton of gimmicky fun. Blind shots, huge elevation changes, conjoined greens, tight mountain tracking, the gang was all there. It was like mini-golf style real golf.

I also haven’t seen much love for the Donald Ross Memorial Course in MI but that place was a riot, how could it not be when you play all the most iconic holes from courses I’ll prob never be able to play.

I also 2nd the nomination for Skokie Country Club, great track.

Eagle Springs, about 40 minutes outside of Milwaukee. Little 9 hole course with awesome green complexes including a volcano green on #2, aptly nicknamed “2 or 22”. Oldest course in Wisconsin!

Currahee Club in Toccoa. 9/10 golfers in GA have no idea it exists. I love it more than AAC, Sea Island or any other courses I’ve played in GA.

This along with Angels Crossing are on my list once the weather gets better. I’ve heard good things about both are they’re doable on the same day coming from South Bend.

Lmao dude you must be super nostalgic. You gotta get around to better golf courses. Not to be rude, but we’re lakers at Wawasee and we refer to South Shore as the “goat ranch.” That and Maxwelton (the one across the lake you’re referring to) are jokes of courses.

If you’re still/ever in the area, try and get on Tippecanoe CC, drive over to Winona Lake to play Stonehenge, or I know @djpie enjoys Culver’s course over on Lake Maxinkuckee.

Here’s to playing better courses than the Goat Ranch :beers:

Oh wow, never would have guessed you’re a laker!

Old Marsh Golf Club- Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. A 1987 Pete Dye that is very low-key compared to many other great courses in the Palm Beach area. There are no tour pros as members which keeps this reputation. It provides a great challenge the longer the yardage you play, but is also playable for the high handicapper. This great track was built into the marshland and each hole is like its own nature walk, with various species of animal in the marsh lining most every fairway. Every hole has its own character and challenge in seemingly every possibly way Dye could have incorporated. One of those courses with no bad holes, and keeps you awake from start to finish.

OldMarsh16

Dead on here. This one is spectacular visually. It just has to stop going bankrupt!

Diamond Springs is a great, great track. Amazingly good value and very playable for all levels.

Check out the Mines in Grand Rapids too. It’s another Devries course that is built on an old gypsum mine. Another fun courses with some elevation change that’s never busy and cheap to play.

Looks pretty cool. I’m up that way a couple times a summer, will definitely have to check it out

Pilgrims Run is probably my favorite DeVries in the GR area. So good. I think the word is a little more out on it though.

The Bull at Pinehurst Farms is a strong Nicklaus course located real close to Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run and it gets overshadowed by those, but it’s a blast. Might be the toughest 18th hole I’ve ever played.