Best Course You've Ever Played That Nobody's Heard Of

Dunaverty Golf Club on the way end of the kintyre peninsula, has to be up there. Full on links golf, quirky blind shots, punchbowl greens, and many drivable holes. It might be short but fun for 20 pounds. The view from the top on 11 is great. Play it in the morning as a warmup for Machrihanish or Mach Dunes.

Couple:

Old Stonewall in Elwood City Pa

The Quarry outside Akron

Whistling Woods in Erie PA

Aetna Springs Golf Course, which sadly closed a few weekends ago. Charming, beautiful, quirky, strategic nine-holer designed by Tom Doak and attached to a resort that never materialized.

Diamond Springs in SW Michigan…Devries course that has pretty open fairways and works its way through the ravines. Never crowded and usually only about $35 13407014_1021622714553127_5482455374372605840_n|666x500

Royal Worlington and Newmarket, AKA the Sacred 9👍
Honourable mention to Cleeve Hill - links-like moonscape on top of a hill in Gloucestershire with sheep, walkers, horse riders and an iron age fort as hazards

Great call, I was going to nominate this one!

Best Course I’ve played that nobody has heard of has got to be Applebrook Golf Club in Malvern, PA. It’s a Gil Hanse course. Walking only some would complain about that but after walking the course you can get a sense that the land that course sits on is made to be a golf course. Links style course too. Greens are like glass, fairways are large.

But it seems @thefriedegg already knows about:

The arictle concludes with saying Applebrook is how modern course should be designed, and I would have to agree with that. I caddied there for a year and saw 20+ handicaps get a number of birdies and the look on their faces still brings me joy. It’s a course made for anyone to enjoy.

Damn… where was this? Looks awesome!

The Home Course in Dupont, Washington (outside of Tacoma–Greater Seattle Area). 20 minutes south of Chambers Bay, similar style course (not quite as links’ish but close) for 1/3 the price. It’s run by the Washington Golf Association (part of USGA) --IE: it’s kept in really great condition and they keep the greens fees down as a principle to support great public golf. Very fun and playable from forward tees, but plenty to bite off from the 7.4k tips (at sea-level in a mostly cool climate).

Out in the northern boondocks of Napa Valley – about an hour from Santa Rosa and 40ish minutes from Calistoga. It was truly wonderful. It struggled to maintain high conditioning standards toward the end, but it was always one of my favorite places to go out and play. A real loss. Anthony Pioppi and Brett Hochstein also knew and loved this course.

Hard Second Diamond Springs. Its Mike DeVries work and its really, really cool. There are some holes where he took some risks especially with green contour but they keep them rolling appropriately so I didn’t find it to be a problem.

Everything other than the junk and the greens is one cut, this helps them keep costs down. The course is layed out across a couple of ravines and is pretty interesting.

Check it out if you are in the Grand Rapids area, so much fun.

New Castle Country Club in New Castle, PA.

Awesome Tillinghast course that never seems to show up on any Tillinghast lists. It is private and was always in great condition when I lived out that way.

Certainly is. The links in the South West on the north coast of Somerset, Devon & Cornwall are awesome. Burnham & Berrow, Trevose, Saunton East & West courses, St Enedoc & Royal North Devon. What a week of pure golfing holidsyvthat would be.

Belvoir Park is an amazing Harry Colt course in Belfast that isn’t widely known outside of Ireland. It’s not a links, but it’s as good a parkland course as I’ve ever played. Rory and caddy Harry Diamond have frequented it over the years.

Black Sheep, Sugar Grove, IL.
Private course with 3 nines. Nothing but golf at the CC, and no frills about a very nice but small clubhouse. You have to be invited to be a member, and it is apparently really exclusive.
Went with a customer. The fairways are wide open, so you can go after the ball, and you have to miss hard to get into really tall fescue, where you are dead. Each hole has a bailout spot that leaves you a much longer second, vs an aggressive line that plays risk/reward.

The most fun round Ive ever played, and we had golfers from a scratch to a 20 handicap with us that all played it and had the same experience

EDIT: after I posted this I saw this course was a top 100 by Golfweek, so I think I cheated

I’ve always wanted to get over to the quarry but have never really had a reason to get over there other than golf

The Olympic Course at Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, WA was a complete surprise and extremely challenging. Also Spanish Oaks Golf Club in Bee Cave, TX is one that I think most Texans know about but doesn’t get much love nationally. However it has recently become one of Sergio Garcia’s main courses he frequents in the states.

I love Applebrook. It’s such a fun course and a great test. Was able to play with a couple members who belong to there and French Creek and they are two totally different Hanse designs.

My parents are members at French Creek. Love that course and has the same playability as Applebrook. Hanse also designed Glen Mills golf club (Public) which is 20 minutes from Applebrook. Definitely worth checking out.

Living in NW Ohio doesn’t do me a lot of good when there is so much good golf in Philly. NW Ohio doesn’t ooze great golf.