Best Course You've Ever Played That Nobody's Heard Of

I have no idea if it’s on a list, but I grew up playing North Shore CC in Sneads Ferry, NC. Holes playing right along the intracoastal (wind can be brutal) combined with the big pines on every hole make for some really fun shot-shaping. 18 is a par 5 to finish with plenty of width and strategy. All in all a fun track if you’re staying on Topsail Island.

Here’s one I doubt anyone will have heard of Axedale Golf Club in counry Victoria, Australia.

Great little track, green fees are twenty odd dollars. Its short, hilly, with plenty of variety & gum trees that look intimidating but don’t really come into play. Condition can vary but play it in early late autumn early spring & you’ll have a good time.

16th hole is brilliant little par 13, 150 yrds, down hill to a well bunkered green. Pics on the club website don’t do it justice.

My favorite course is Modry Las in Poland. It’s a Gary Player designed course in Western Poland, only a couple hours from Berlin. Cheap to play and stay; like most things in Poland.

Auburn Hills GC in Riner, VA. It’s diabolically tight with zero even lies and concrete greens. It’s strictly a love or hate course, no in between. A few drivable par fours that goad you into pulling out the lumber when even the best drives have zero chance of holding on the green.

Edit: A little more well known, but Golden Horseshoe in Williamsburg, VA. Best course in VA.

Tommy Raynor signature design?

Brunswick (GA) Country Club.

This place may be the best golf course in the Golden Isles: overshadowed by the glitz and glam (well-earned) across the F.J. Torras Causeway, this Donald Ross original was, for a loooong while, another dilapidated and largely forgotten relic until the Davis [cough, Mark!] Love and his design team took on the task of taking her back to the original. There were a few creative liberties taken on a couple fairway bunkers and there was no attempt at tree removal, but this remains an amazingly accessible and (given its surroundings) wildly underrated place to put a peg in the ground. The only thing that holds it back is the lack of sea or marsh frontage. But, this is a true Donnie on linksland (without the views), and much more accessible/affordable than the über luxury one can find on St. Simons.

feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

Damn, this place has been on the shortlist for me and @Tron. Need to make it happen!

It’s got a couple of the signature ‘DL3’ bullcrap features, but it is as close to perfect as any full-scale Donald Ross ‘Back to the original plans’ renovation I’ve ever encountered.

Haha, just on the edge of his golden age.

Liphook Golf Club in England is absolute class. Lightning greens, great vibe and membership. couple of weak holes but they are due to be taken out in the slight redesign!

Windswept Dunes - Freeport, Florida

Course is about 10 miles inland from 30A on the Emerald Coast, twenty-five minutes from Destin, Florida. This place is a hidden gem, especially in an area where rates are super pricey and it’s hard to get out on most of the courses at a reasonable hour, without being paired up with two rando’s. Known as the longest golf course in the state of Florida at a butt-kicking 7752 from the championship tees, this course presents a challenge to any golfer. But the greatest part about it is the layout of the course, with its wide open fairways and insanely large greens, it makes the game fun for any skill level of golfer, as well as 6 different tee boxes for golfers of all ages. My favorite part about the course has to be how little play it gets. Every single time I go play it, we usually see 10 or 15 cars in the parking lot, and you might see one group the whole time you’re on the course. And since it gets such little play, it stays in great shape through the entire year. The only downside is the clubhouse, which is actually a double wide trailer. Still has great food though! Absolutely recommend coming out to play this one, great course, awesome for families or buddies, wide open fairways, big rolling greens, and nobody around you!image

JAX —> BQK

no excuses, fellas.

cc: @Tron

Played there in college. Fantastic layout. The only hole I remember that I didn’t like was #10

I like starting on #10 because it’s all uphill from there!

Donald Ross Society story on the renovation.

and then an orange crush…

Assuming Palmetto Club is “heard of”. I’ll go with Abenaqui in New Hampshire. Played it when I was 16 and have loved it ever since. Just full of New England vibes and was in spectacular shape when I played.

Victoria Golf Club on Vancouver Island, maybe not unheard of but being on the south-east tip of the island keeps it under the radar. One of the oldest clubs in North America AV Macan design, did a full bunker resto a couple years ago that came out awesome. Shortish, old school, and fun, plus its tough to beat the views.

Indian Hills Golf Club Spirit Lake, IA. Little 9 hole muni out the outskirts of a tourist lake town. Every hole has big elevation changes, end of summer greens get rolling at 13 and being above the hole makes an impossible putt.

Best part, yearly membership available to anyone for $100 and you can walk as many holes as you want. Only pay for cart fee after that if you so choose, but you know #pushcartmafia.

I attached a picture of #2 from across the lake. Green is completely blind at bottom of the hill. Fly it in if you wish but the wrong club and it can go long. Play it on the hill and roll it down and you can get close or find yourself in the rough if you took the wrong line. Quirky course but some really fun shots.