Atlanta Area Hidden Gems

I have two entries into the “hidden” list, both oddly enough within 10 minutes of one another.

Chattahoochee Golf Club (Gainesville): Typically right about $30 to walk, home of Masters Champion Tommy Aaron. Course feels a little bit like the UGA course in Athens but a little easier on the scorecard. Awesome greens, fun layout. From what I understand they have a membership with several old dudes hitting low single digit handicaps. Owned now by the city - great muni!

Chicopee Woods Golf Course (Gainesville): Also right around $30 to walk - has 27 holes each with their own “flavor”. Love the little starter shack to direct golfers where to go. Another great layout with awesome greens - a bit more elevation change that Chattahoochee.

Can’t recommend these two courses highly enough! I drive an hour to play these over closer options charging 2-3 times the fee.

3 Likes

@Tron curious about your thoughts on the back 9 at Echelon. Must rank within the “weirdest” or “absurd”, no?

1 Like

I love it. Haven’t played there in at least five years but from memory: 10 is a fun one down the hill, 11 is batshit crazy/awesome (that drive haunts me,) 12 is straight up the hill and nuts, 13 & 14 are exhilarating, 15 is a slog, 16 is concerningly normal, 17 a great little par three and then 18 a beast up the hill. Shot 76 with 5 birdies there one time and it felt like the round of my life.

2 Likes

I’ve played Echelon once, but it was back when it first became Echelon instead of “The Georgia Tech Club.” I remember loving the course, but it’s been a long time and I need to get back over there. It’s not far from where I live.

@Tron I think you pretty much nailed it but I’ve got to be honest, you surprised me by starting with “I love it”. I enjoy the front nine of the course but find the back 9 to be just really forced…albeit I’m not sure they had many options with that property.

I’d gotten into a conversation with the pro there a few years back about the history and vision for the property. Really interesting stuff - the type of story that reeks of early 2000’s suburban sprawl and greed. The short history of the club alone has been about as up and down as the back 9 itself!

It’s definitely really forced and there’s a couple godawful holes. But there are also more exhilarating shots and fun holes on that side. The highs are higher - most of the front just feels like regular Rees Jones. Echelon and Achasta were my choice over pretty much any other public courses in the greater Atlanta area.