Atlanta Area Hidden Gems

I just played Cherokee Run thanks to reading this thread. Course was in great condition, greens are firm and fast, especially compared to other public courses in the area and the 40 dollar greens fee. The course has a great, fun layout and I will definitely be back. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Stonemont course at Stone Mountain Park is pretty tough. I would imagine it’s in good shape right now too. Not sure what the greens fees currently are, but you do have to pay entry to get into the park which sucks.

Stonemont is a stern test. Old RTJ Sr. course that’s normally firm AF with tons of girthy par fours. There’s like 12 par fours in a row. It’ll beat you up if you get out of position but I always have fun out there.

Dragging this back up. Going to be in Atlanta for a Bach party in late September. Staying somewhere on Lake Lanier and looking for a place to golf. Looking for close to Lake Lanier or between the airport and the lake. It is a range of golfers from upper single digit handicaps to guys who score based on the number of balls they lose (or don’t lose). I have just about written off Lanier Islands Legacy due to potential lost balls. This is where I need you No Laying Up people to come in with these courses with angles and width.

Check out Echelon. Very close to you and an absolute gorgeous layout. It’s a stern test (Stretches to like 7600 yards), but not in the way Legacy would be for high caps. Highly recommend. Brand new clubhouse (finally) and is working with more land than most of the other public courses up here.

Other options in your area would be Bears Best, Hampton, Woodmont, or Bradshaw. All decent (and good values), but not on the same level as Echelon.

Cherokee Run is a blast! It’s been a wild ride for the Run (finally the city bought it), but it’s always in such great shape nowadays. Can’t wait to play in the GA Pub Links there in a couple weeks.

The zoysia fairways kinda ruined all other courses for me…

I am leaning towards Echelon and have recommended it to the group. We are still waiting to hear back as to where on Lake Lanier we are staying and that may have some effect on where we end up playing.

Echelon is solid. Very stern test, at @rmattgolden mentioned. Would also recommend Achasta, which is up GA-400 toward Dawsonville. Fun routing along the river - not long, plenty of birdies to be had if you’re on. Chestatee always solid too.

I have only played one round in the Atlanta area, at The Frog. Really liked that course.

Fazio design with several marshes and ponds and a creek in play on a few holes on the back nine.

What would yall recommend in regard to the private but accessible clubs? I usually try to do 1 a month. Marietta CC, River Club and Pinetree have been my faves. Been considering Dunwoody CC, Druid Hills or Atlanta National next. Any feedback or other recs?

Played Rivermont recently, definitely a course worth checking out. The tall grass and massive undulating green complexes give it some links vibes. Pretty easy to get on as far as private courses go. It sounds like you’re north of Atlanta so I’d recommend Cartersville Country Club. I was surprised how nice of a facility Cartersville has.

How are you getting on some of these private clubs?

I LOVE CCC play it at least a couple time a year. That place is everything a good club should be. I am a member at Governors Towne Club so usually if I get in contact with the Proshop they can arrange a tee time for me at a lot of clubs if it’s in advance. It’s a little pricey (120-200) but it’s fun a few times a year. Most clubs I’ve encountered will accept guests from other clubs if you go through your home clubs pro. It doesn’t work at the REALLY elite places like CTCC or PDC but your kinda “upper mid teirs” like ACC or Druid Hills are pretty cool about it.

I wish more clubs were willing to do it like that. I’m perfectly willing to pay a premium and book in the non prime times to get to go see a good track, I feel like it’s a pretty common sense set up that benefits everyone

I heard Andy mention The Fields Golf Club today on his Shotgun Start podcast. He said it was a really cool public course. Has anyone ever played it?

Saw that on his instagram story too. Want to check that place out. The terrain/layout looks way more open than most places around here. Rolling hills not lined with woods.

Yea I saw that too… looked pretty cool and different. Might be worth the drive to LaGrange

The Fields is dope. First design-build course, before Doak, C&C. Mike Young in the mid-80s. Has some mounding I don’t care for but overall its really good. Few holes don’t work quite right (3 & 10) for my taste but for $40 about as good as it gets.

How did you get on to Rivermont?

Called and set up a round for my group that is interested in joining. It was a great experience and they will easily work with you to get you out.

Played Rivermont in January last year. Great course and definitely worth checking out. I wrote a message to the owner and he was happy to get me out with a member. Great guy!

Yeah I’ll admit I’m feigning some ignorance here, I was in touch with the membership director a while back about possibly joining and she gave me a rate to come play. I didn’t take up on that because it’s not in the cards for our family to join right now and felt bad about wasting their time.