Armchair Architect Needed: Help design backyard wedge range

Is there a Pasture Golf Association? Seems more up our alley

1 Like

Yeah, I think the PGA acronym is available for use.

4 Likes

Wire%20Shocked

3 Likes

Just a thought but what if we had a rotating ā€˜honorary proā€™ from among the actual club pros on the refuge. Thereā€™s got to be a few guys into the idea.

We can pay them in beer?

Creating a ā€œnon-real estateā€ club with a state golf association is not selling out.
It is not embracing the USGA. It doesnā€™t mean the course will be ā€œratedā€ because as far as the USGA knows it is a ā€œnon-real estate clubā€.

This is just a service. One that some members need and that other members would see as more of a feather-in-cap. Itā€™s also a hell of a way to market and grow membership numbers. I mean, if MJ joined, whoā€™s next?

2 Likes

So to help educate those who may not know what that entailsā€¦ does that mean you couldnā€™t post scores of what you shot at BCN, because there is no rating, but you could have an official index with your club affiliation being BCN?

Correct. You need a club to hold your GHIN Handicap. We would just be the club you hold your handicap at. No need to ever play BCN.

8 Likes

also by being a club, can you raise money by having GHINs registered?

Donā€™t believe so. The GHIN holder would have to pay their yearly dues to the system but BCN wouldnā€™t get any of that coin.

1 Like

This is where I get conflicted. I would LOVE to have BCN listed as my home course when I enter tournaments here in TX but hate the idea of giving money to the USGA more. That said, I already pay the $40 or whatever to them because I do want an official GHIN so might as well do it through you guys and not another course where Iā€™m not a formal member.

I think I just talked myself into thisā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s the spirit around the idea. Why pay some public course or whatever when you could list BCN as the club that holds the GHIN.

4 Likes

Iā€™m definitely onboard with this. I have my handicap through a USGA compliant club on TheGrint, but would love BCN to be the club on there.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in. I will proudly list my club as BCN in tournaments I play in/GHIN. Such a great idea.

2 Likes

Credit to @Lazstradamus for the idea.

3 Likes

@Lazstradamus is always full of great ideas, except when it comes to politics lol :wink:

3 Likes

@GluteActivator, there are some details to consider:

Some state golf association events require you to hold a handicap within that state/section. Others donā€™t.
Also, there is a ā€œposting seasonā€ in Kansas that may be a little different than your state.

I believe BCN would be a non-handicap Kansas GHIN. By supporting it and getting that BCN ā€œbandā€ under your other club(s) is more a tip of the cap to BCN and all they stand for.

3 Likes

Do you know how that works financially? Do you pay another fee to get the BCN ā€œbandā€ under your other club, even if itā€™s just a non-handicap Kansas GHIN?

You make a good point about the state specific rules, would have to look that up.

It is a good idea. Two comments I would add, having been involved in a ā€œclub without a courseā€ previously.

1. There is some administrative burden for the person(s) responsible for setting up the club. I believe it is mostly upfront, with limited annual repeat, but something to think about for guys already trying to spend as much time as possible working on the course. I guess you can do this part when it is dark, though. :grin:

2. The easy way to generate some additional cash flow for BCN via this idea is to run the fees through BCN, and when each member pays their annual handicap fee, an additional $5-$15 is added. Many of the clubs that offer handicap services already do this. For example, you might pay $40 to your local course to keep your handicap, but they only pay $30 to the state golf association. We did this for another organization of which I am a part, and it generated a few hundred dollars for that organization, which could be repeated annually. Not that we need another reason to donate to BCN, but taking into account item 1 above, itā€™s the least we could do if @sundaybag decides to do it. If a couple hundred guys ran their handicap through BCN, it could be a nice little annual cash flow for ongoing expenses.

Overall, very cool idea. Very supportive. Would love to see it benefit BCN financially and otherwise.

5 Likes

Awesome advice. Do you have any insight to how said admin set it up for your non-course club.

Full disclosure - the online tracking fee for handicapping in Kansas is $22. I paid $40 to my club last year as you mentioned.

They contacted the association directly. In this case, it was the Southern California Golf Association. There was standard paperwork to be completed, and he needed to be sure he had enough members to make it worth it. The SCGA website makes it pretty easy.
http://www.scga.org/membership/form-your-own-club

It looks like Kansas has a similar process.
http://www.kansasgolf.org/handicapping/

Annual cost to the club is $160, and then $22 per member. So, very conservatively speaking, if you assume you get 25 members and charge them $40 each, it would look like this:

$1,000 cash inflow (25 members * $40 each) annually
($160) annual club payment to KGA
($550) individual handicap indexes (25 members * $22 each)
= $290 net benefit to BCN

At $40 per person (pretty standard I think), you needā€¦
9 members to break even (10 or 11 if you want your index to be paid for)

After the first 9, every member brings in $18 to BCN, soā€¦

• 25 members = $290 net ($18 * 16 members above 9 to break even)
  • 50 members = $740 net ($18 * 41 members above 9 to break even)
  • 100 members = $1,640 net
  • 200 members = $3,440 net

You get the idea.

EDIT - looks like if you had over 100 members, the annual club fee in Kansas would go up to $200, but that would be ā€œnice problem to have.ā€

2 Likes