Armchair Architect Needed: Help design backyard wedge range

Crazy how much this is coming together. I know it has been said recently before but you really can start to visualize everything so much more. Hoping the weather lets up this week to make things easier!

Appreciate the well wishes. We need it! Things really are coming together. Feels like we are perpetually chasing the tail at times. As nice as it is to have the trees down, there is so much raking that needs to be done as well as burning these massive piles of timber before mid April. We need a spell of dry weather and some wind! Come on Kansas. Do your thing and let that wind blow!

Want to do some more drone flyovers as well now that we are cleared. Think it would be easy to understand the holes better.

3 Likes

To piggyback on the previous update, I wanted to share my experience with the crew. As mentoned, I finally got out to BCN yesterday, and what a time for the first visit. The Boys of Brough Creek (band name trademark pending) had the tree clearing to a point where we were able to play all 7 holes for the first time. You know, typing that out, and considering how much work went in to getting to this point… it just made me realize how monumental that sentence is! Huge congratulations are in order to @sundaybag and @BCNSuper. It’s an incredible accomplishment as is. And yes, I am now tied for the course record; thank you for asking. I shot a 7 (we couldn’t putt).

Fine, it’s unofficial. Won’t stop me from editing my resume, though.

First post-round thoughts that came to mind? Holy $h*+&;!#. I am for certain this write-up won’t be able to adequately tell you how intriguing, fun, and unique this course is/will be, but as a poor attempt, this backyard was made for interesting golf. Ben and I kept talking about how many crazy features this relatively small tract of land has, and how fortunate it is those are on this property. For instance, the creek that provides the main feature for the course runs in front of the neighbors’ houses in a boring, straight line. That is… until it gets to Zach’s house, where it turns 90 degrees and meanders randomly through the property. There are ridges, slopes and cliffs (seriously!) utilized to their fullest extent that make this short course playable, playable again, and playable after that. I can imagine an infinite number of actions and reactions to shots by all types of players out there. The space is equally perfect for golf and high school keggers, and now that I’m a ways off from reliving my glory days, I’m thankful they chose the former.

Favorite moment came when shots from @BCNSuper and me hit a tree on number 7. There was talk of keeping it to protect the iconic barn (probably necessary), but ultimately it was agreed upon that it needed to come down. How’s that for valuing shot varieties over potential property damage? So, they grabbed the chainsaws and took it down… immediately. It should be clear from this project, but to reinforce it, these guys don’t eff around.

My humble suggestion after thinking about the project more: continue the punny hole names. I’ll offer up Cold Beer-itz for #4, and Philanthroper RedAnn for #6, to follow the previously named Brough Start (#1).

I don’t know if any of this information will be revelatory if you’ve been following the project closely, but maybe a post-apocalyptic-winter perspective from a new, in-person witness will help continue the momentum. For the KC locals, it’d be great to help these guys out with the stick pick-up when they’re ready, and if you can.

Thanks again, Ben and Zach. Looking forward to more progress, and utilizing my membership to its fullest extent.

15 Likes

Was awesome having you out. Expect to see ya there a lot more in the coming months!

1 Like

Very willing and able to help with the stick pick up depending on travel for work. Just need the date and time @sundaybag

1 Like

Sweet. Let’s get after it! Gotta be in the next 3-4 weeks. Going to need to rake the entire property before seed in mid April!

Thanks for comin out! Was nice finally being able to play

1 Like

Got my towel!

And my son was able to steal my sticker and tag me icarito style without me knowing

5 Likes

Well, your son is obviously begging for attention. You can’t even be bothered to change the calendar and help the child learn.

6 Likes

There are about 400 magnets on that thing.

He’s lucky I’ve got the month right!

1 Like

Awesome! Your son must be a ninja. That isn’t a small sticker! Are you happy with the towel?

1 Like

Heck yeah! Its just the right size, great material, and the embroidery is top notch!

And yes, i turned around and my wife was laughing at me, and my son was already on to something else, by the time i realized i had a sticker on my hip

1 Like

I will second this statement on the towel quality. Almost feel guilty getting it all dirty during midwest mud season (which is basically the entire golf season).

1 Like

I’m breaking it in in two weeks down in South Carolina. The mud has begun here in Omaha.

1 Like

3 weeks for me, in NC and SC.

2 Likes

Nice. 7 of us going to Myrtle. Never been there, i havent looked at the courses, but i dont care. its 6 days in a row of not having to worry about other people.

4 Likes

As a backyard wedge range, you guys should do some custom stamping (BCN or whatever) for anyone who makes the trek out for a visit. Something exclusive for those who make it on-site.

8 Likes

Could get down with this for sure. Would people seriously trust us with their wedges though? I’m sure @BCNSuper could figure out how to do it fairly easily.

2 Likes

I just watched a YouTube video from some guy who sells the kits at clubstamping.com. First I’ve ever even looked into it and it looks really easy. I can’t speak for everyone obviously, but sometimes a job done a little “rough around the edges” looks better than something clean and perfect. Or hell, let people stamp their own. So long as you can trust a Refugee with a mallet.

5 Likes

I would be thrilled to finally make it out to have my 54 stamped with the BCN logo. Every time I bladed it across a green, I could think about how one time, one day it actually made me happy.

4 Likes