A thread for the Texas folks

What’s up, fellas…I recently joined the Refuge after a while of “lingering” (or possibly “loitering”…never can remember @MerchCzar ‘s definitions). Just wanted to give a quick intro and say hello. Looking forward to getting to know some other local NLU guys and hopefully playing more golf with people (I usually play alone these days while listening to NLU, Trap Draw, and other golf podcasts while walking the course (proud Pushcart Mafia member).

I’m 38…married and one 2yr old son. I grew up in Abilene and went to Texas Tech. I’m a landscape architect (commercial and urban design/planning). I’ve lived in Dallas since 2007 (Oak Cliff for a few years and now East Dallas). The pandemic has really led me back to a passion for golf and finding NLU last spring has led me to grow that passion into learning about golf course design, golf travel, history of the game, deep dives, etc. I usually play at Corsicana Country Club where I recently joined. It’s a true Golden Age A.W. Tillinghast design from the 20s and a hidden gem and possibly the best deal in private golf around (private golf for a Strapped price). If anyone is interested in checking it out sometime, let me know. I’d be happy to host you. It’s a little less than an hour from downtown Dallas. I try to do at least one round a week, usually on Thursday evenings. I also enjoy playing different public courses around DFW…Golf Club of Dallas and Stevens are a couple of favorites from my Oak Cliff days. I’m interested in playing Keeton Park sometime but keep putting it off. Pine Dunes is another I play fairly often when we visit my in-laws lake house in Athens. Lastly…I’m about a 12 handicap right now…I feel like I should be single digits by now but duffing chips in Bermuda grass is just something I can’t seem to quit doing. But the pursuit of better is half the fun.

Crack on!

20 Likes

I’ve got a 7:20 tee time at Keeton on Sunday for 4 that is quickly falling to just me playing. The other three spots are open if you’re interested. I’m going to walk it.

Man, I wish I could join you at KP but I can’t do this Sunday unfortunately (Sunday mornings are bad in general usually). But I will take a rain check!

I was supposed to play out there Memorial Day but Lubbock decided to have a flash flood instead and ruined it. Looks great out there

Welcome Ches! I have been a beer drinking cart rider for my entire golfing life (don’t plan on giving it up entirely) but I just bought a push cart and am eager to get out and use it. Would love to meet up and play sometime! Not sure I can manage a Thursday night round in the near future but always down for any of the local dallas munis. Let’s get a game soon!

2 Likes

We’ve got a decent number of east and northeast siders on here that play mostly public. We’ll get you out with us soon. Also, go here and sign up as an alternate in case a spot opens up for you.

1 Like

Welcome to the Refuge, Ches. We’ve known each other since preschool/kindergarten…but where did we last bump into each other? I can’t remember for the life of me if it was at local golf course or something else around town.

1 Like

@mctrees02 Forrest, man, very long time no see. I saw your name on the Golden Age 2.0 list. Glad to reconnect and hopefully will catch up with you in person one day soon

1 Like

My Pops sent me this last night. Dallas muni gold.

8 Likes

Anyone already anxiously waiting for they 2022 Masters ticket announcement in July or is it just me?

3 Likes

Same. For the 10th year now I think.

1 Like

Do you still have openings for Sunday morning? Might be interested in joining you if you do!

1 Like

Yessir still got 3 openings. You’re welcome to join!

I’ve got a lesson at Keeton at 10am but I could play the front 9 with you if you don’t get any others for the full 18.

1 Like

Count me in!

1 Like

Good luck to those playing in the nlu/ bucees cup
Kick ass DFW!

Also Good Luck to anyone playing in tomorrow’s DAC qualifier

3 Likes

Getting out at Cedar Crest at 1:40 this afternoon. Couple open spots online if anyone is trying to join!

First time going out for the DAC this year and I was wondering if anybody had insight on a few things.

1. Walking vs cart? Website says they encourage carts but is there generally more people doing one than the other?

2. If walking, do people bring their friends out to caddy just for shits and gigs? I think you have to have one at Trinity Forest, yeah?

3. If your handicap goes up or down between registration and qualifying, how do you update it?

Thanks!

I played in the first one and qualified (senior gross). Most everyone rode carts at Cedar Crest, though there were one or two people that had a friend loop for them.

At TF initially we were supposed to have caddies (provided by TF), but they changed course because the temperatures were 105 or so both days, so we rode in carts. It was a 5 plus hour beat down. I love TF but not so much in July/August.

Not sure how they handle handicaps but I would guess it’s whatever your current index is as of the day the run the scorecards.

2 Likes

I’ve posted in the Golden Age Classic thread and the DFW Match Play thread, but I thought I’d make it official in the Texas thread too. I’m moving to Dallas the first week in July, so feel free to reach out as I’m always down to play (even if it requires a little bit of driving). Looking forward to getting out and meeting y’all as well as playing with some of y’all again.

19 Likes