2019 Goals

As a husband, father of a 3YO girl and baby #2 on the way, this has been an enjoyable read with lots of great advice. Anyway here is what I came up with:

Golf goals
1 - Shoot par or at least beat my personal best (+3 73 shot back in 2015)
2 - Play my 100th course. I mentioned in the "Where have you played?" that I am currently at 81 and there are a ton of great tracks close to me that I have yet to play.
3 - Improve Par Saves from 30% to 45% for the year. I track a ton of stats and this is a glaring weakness in my game.

Personal Goals
1 - Cut the cord. Cable is an insane waste of money.
2 - Read one book per month (golf or non-golf). I probably only read 1-2 books per year.
3 - Beat my personal best for miles run in a year.
4 - Run a half-marathon or 10k+ trail race.

@scuff, Keep it going dude!
Q: do you think weighing less will make you hit it farther? I’ve found exactly the opposite to be true. Feels like in losing 25 lbs I’ve also lost 20-30 yards w/ driver. Legs are stronger, I’m just as flexible, if not more, but have lost at least 20 w/ the big dog. Just sayin’.

I haven’t officially written them down yet, but i’ll give it a crack here to start.

I failed at meeting almost every goal last year, and I’m not really upset about it. I changed jobs and with a 5yo and 2yo there wasn’t much time for personal stuff. Which means my goals for this year are pretty much the same.

Golf;

1. Make the cut at the KS Amateur
  2. Qualify for the USGA Mid-Am
  3. Win our club championship
  4. Break par at Prairie Dunes

Non Golf;

1. Work less.
  2. When I’m not working, BE ENGAGED. I have a tendency to sit with my laptop (like now) and work rather than really pay full attention to the family.
  3. Less time DIY’ing things, pay for services, and do the things I want to do with the people I want to do them with.

Thanks for the encouragement! My club speed has increased and I don’t feel like an old man after hitting 50 balls. I still don’t understand how a pro can hit their 5-iron 255 yards. :exploding_head:

I think I am doing pretty good carrying a 6-iron 180 yards on a consistent basis…190 with roll. But, I don’t know the optimal balance between a person’s mass and swing speed to get the most distance; I’ll leave that to the TPI folks. I can say that even on mishits, my shots are traveling much farther than before.

I have not really tried to hit driver yet since I have been exercising…working on fundamentals with my 8- and 6-irons. I will let you know how it goes.

I just reached one of my goals and secured golf employment at Willow Oaks CC in Richmond as an assistant pro, so hopefully I’ll see you at some VSGA events! (not the Am days, of course … unfortunately …)

Just remember, regarding the professional yardages, they are all compressing the ever-loving heck out of the ball with most likely a delofted strike with a club that very well might be strong to begin with. Yes, they swing faster than most of us, but there are other serious factors to consider.

But I love hearing the exercising talk. Your golf game will thank you, but more importantly your overall quality of life will always be better if you become a habitual fitness devotee.

I stopped hitting balls a few years ago. Too painful. Got back into it trying to “find my move” before some tournaments this year but it’s pointless.
My 2019 golf goals:

1. Break into @RobbieVogel’s house and steal all of his third eye blind vinyl and melt it in his own oven.
  2. Write/sell one big long form piece.
  3. Play in next Latin American Amateur.

I agree with @HoganFan52 on this one. Some of the pros have their irons 1-2* stronger and they rarely miss the sweet spot ever.
All the hype was being made about how Rory was on the range hitting his 3 wood over 300 yards of carry and then when you really look at it and find out it’s a 13* wood then it makes sense.

Hey man! Congrats on the great news. Awesome course, as well. Are you going to play in the State Open qualifier?

I definitely intend to. I imagine there are multiple sites?

There are. They run along with the Am qualifier. When you sign up you check one or both of the boxes for the Am and/or State Open (you just check Open) and pay the fees. The qualifier sites are already posted on VSGA.org.

Get my game/body back in shape after open heart surgery in November:

-Finish cardiac rehab. Jogging 12 minute miles again - f yeah! (gotta just gut out the heart palpitations).

-Get back out on the course officially next month in Vegas (played a casual 9 about 6 weeks after the surgery and felt good… but definately lack pop).

-Zero trips to ER (inflammation post surgery has sucked and lead to a couple nights back in hospital w/ brutal pain - nothing 2400mg of ibuprofen a day can’t take care of).

-Reading the golf/life/family goals on here I wish everyone good health above all else. ‘18 generally sucked w/ the heart issues. Yes, there were highlights on the course, but the surgery loomed large over my wife and I. Stay healthy, take care of your heart, and practice 3 fters!

Funny story - I actually won a signed copy of the debut album vinyl, complete with unheard demo tapes of most of the songs, in this online contest. Great day for me. Also, I’m changing the locks.

Play in next Latin American Amateur.

Hola, Club Pro Guy!