12 Week Practice Plan

Anyone familiar with golfpracticeguides.com? I stumbled on this years ago looking for a more stable practice routine. They have different practice plans available for different skill levels trying to achieve different goals - breaking 90, breaking 80, breaking 70 etc. I’ve tried the breaking 70 plan but with two kids and work there isn’t enough time in the day let alone the week. I’ve taken what they’ve done and paired it down into smaller sessions and figured I’d share on here as more people might be in the same boat. Sorry I didn’t know how to attached a file so I took screen shots.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.12.00 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.11.46 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.11.34 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.11.21 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.11.06 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.10.53 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.10.38 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.10.09 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.09.49 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.08.41 AM

6 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend following those plans. Let’s just look at week 12.

20 drivers, 20 4I/5I shots. 10 scrambles (who scrambles from ten feet away from the hole?), 25 minutes chipping, 10 putts, 18 putts…

That is wholly unbalanced, and why do you need to hit draws? Become a master of one shape, not a jack of all trades. 25 minutes just chipping?

No, just not very good.

IMO.

P.S. The link is dead for me.

3 Likes

Do you have a recommendation for a high handicap practice plan? During non-coronavirus times, I get to the range/course 1-2 times per week (would like to increase this), but also have a hitting net at home. I’m relatively new to the game (picked it up a couple years ago) so I have no old habits or practice strategies from high school golf team or something like that.

@iacas - yuck

1 Like

It all depends on your weakness in your game. Your strongest areas should just be reinforced and your weakest areas should have the majority of the practice time where you are actively working on improving what that weakness is in my opinion

Go play a few rounds and take notes and track every stat - Fairways/Greens and where you missed them, everything to do with short game. after a couple rounds there should be a pretty good trend of where you’re giving away the most strokes.

In terms of actual practice strategies, I’m personally a big fan of dividing it into technical work and then simulating course situations.

Say its for your driver - you work on something on your swing for 30 minutes and then you set an imaginary hole up and attempt to hit it into the fairway, going through your full routine and also hitting an iron in between to not just get in the driver groove. See how many “fairways” you hit.

Or for short game. If you struggle out of the bunker, hit a ton of balls from the same spot working on the technique and the correct feel, not focusing on the pin and then you take that feel and drop 10 balls in random spots in the bunker and you try and get every one up and down.

I personally enjoy the technical part a bit too much but making those games after the technical work really helps you take the improvements to the course.

1 Like

it’s super important not just to figure out what is “weak”, but, how important that weakness is to your scoring (strokes gained is a good metric). for example -

@leric90 thinks he is weak at hitting high, soft, short-sided bunker shots from downhill lies. super rare and therefore not important.

@nandersen knows that he has difficulty getting off the tee sometimes and the Big-Right-Miss is lurking. often 1 ball OB a round, sometimes more. this weakness is very important and fixing it will drastically help scoring.

@leric90 thinks he doesn’t make enough 15-footers. nobody does - not important. remember pros only make half of their 8-footers, so, outside that, you’re not going to suddenly start making more.

@nandersen used to be completely unable to pitch the ball until he had a lesson with @imsocrabby. reasonably important.

(hint - your short game is probably not as much of a weakness as you think it is. if you find yourself leaning on it all the time, practice hitting approaches and improve your iron play. the best short game is a putt from on the green.)

4 Likes

100% agree.

The DECADE stuff from Scott Fawcett is super helpful and eye-opening in where strokes are actually gained and lost.

Not sure if his stuff is still on Course Kings but it was the only stuff I really took anything from when I subscribed to it.

check out Lowest Score Wins, i think the author is around here somewhere, that book has some awesome practice plans in it targeted especially for high Separation Value parts of your game

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips, appreciate it!

for me personally I like seeing the ball going in the hole as many times a possible. Visually seeing the ball roll fall over the edge is key for me.

Good feedback. I can make adjustments in some areas. For me personally regarding 10 ft up and down it’s not about the 10 ft. it’s about the fact of getting up and down. Going through a routine of chipping/pitching and then going the motion of holing a put to get up and down. With not having hours to devote to practice each day this is way to get in some reps and keep the time down.

1 Like

I saw on another thread something about you having a book regarding practice plans/areas to focus? Whats the name of your book? Update - found it. Just ordered a copy

1 Like

RE: the 10 foot thing… how often are you chipping or pitching from ten feet? When is that not just a putt?

Absent a glaring weakness we recommend players spend 65% of practice time on the full swing (about 15% driver, 50% irons… because the iron work will bleed over to the driver, too), 20% on the short game, 15% putting.

2 Likes

You said in your original post -

So the goal is to figure out how to efficiently use your time. Making 1 footers might make you “feel confident” but does nothing for your time on the course. Confidence isn’t built through false nonsense (2 footers, getting up and down from 10 feet) but from real skill-building and real skills.

@iacas is right